I recently read a post on facebook which stated, “Think of what you could accomplish if you had no fear.” My kneejerk reaction was…damn near anything. But after thinking it through, I changed my tune somewhat.
It seems to me fear is like salt. A healthy amount will spice up your life. Too much will kill you. None…well, let’s just say…would leave much to be desired.
Some of my biggest thrills, as well as my most cherished moments and accomplishments, have come from having a healthy fear then shattering it.
• Such as asking that beautiful girl, who was out of my league…for that first date. By the way, she’s now my wife.
• Being young and wet behind the ears…making my first sales call
• Deciding to take the plunge and start a family rather than waiting for the perfect time…which by the way, would never have come
• Performing a song I had written in a room full of friends and strangers
• Publishing my first blog post
• Strapping myself in a car then going for a white knuckle ride at 150 plus miles per hour…on a sanctioned track of course…you get the picture
I visualize fear as this imaginary barrier between our safe, sometimes humdrum world, and this room full of excitement and wonder where the real blessings of living reside. So I guess what I would say is…without fear, there’d be no room for excitement…couldn’t resist.
For me, it’s all about the act of breaking through, as well as the preparation of doing so, which together excites the senses for the maximum enjoyment of these sweetest fruits life has to offer.
In a nutshell, without a little fear to conquer, there would be no thrill…no real sense of accomplishment. Everything would feel as if it were the second time around. How boring! I for one thank God for a little healthy fear.
Pass me the salt please.